Calendar for Student Action
(M.S. to Ph.D.) and (B.S. to Ph.D.)
Thesis Topic/Advisor Selection
- 8-13 Weeks following start of the Program
Test of American English Oral Communicative Proficiency Oral Proficiency Test for International Students (Required of all International Students)
Must be taken in the first Semester at Penn State.
- Student must schedule by calling the Department of Linguisitics and Applied Language Studies.
Scheduling of Candidacy Examination/On or before the third Friday of October in the student's second fall semester in the program.
Note: The Candidacy Exam serves as the English Competency Test in Chemical Engineering.
- Student must meet the Ph.D. eligibility requirement with a GPA of 3.33 in designated courses.
- Student must be registered for the semester the Candidacy Exam & English Competency Exam is taken.
- Notify Deptartment Secretary (Cathy Krause) by last Friday of September in the student's second fall semester in the program.
- Notify Candidacy Examination Chairperson and committee at least two weeks prior to test date.
- Submit thesis proposal to Candidacy Exam Chairperson and committee and a copy to Dept. Secretary, on or before the last Friday of September in the student’s second fall semester in the program.
- Appointment of Ph.D. Committee
- Consult with advisor to identify appropriate committee members, See Dept. Secretary for Committee Appointment Forms.
Download the (M.S. to Ph.D.) and (B.S. TO Ph.D.) checklist.pdf
updated on 04/30/13