Every student and anyone working in the Chemical Engineering Department must complete the Laboratory Safety (Initial) Program offered by EHS. You are required to refresh the training annually by completing the Laboratory Safety Refresher course available at EHS PSU.
A summary of the program requirements can be found at the Hazardous Waste Disposal Program Snapshot with more detail at the Chemical Safety Program webpage. Four training modules are provided online, followed by a final review session presented by EHS.
- Contact EHS at (814) 865-6391 to schedule a time for your class or refer to the website below.
- Look under the "Lab Safety" link at the following URL. www.opp.psu.edu/ehs_training/course_list.cfm
- Under the "Lab Safety" select the "Laboratory Safety - (Initial)" link.
- After completion of the class, you will be provided with a form that needs to be given to Cathy Krause in Room 158 Fenske Laboratory that will go in your file.
- A copy of that form also must be kept in the Lab Safety Plan in your lab; as well as a copy with Roger Dunlap in room 127A Fenske Laboratory.
- Sheets for the Lab Safety Plan can be found at http://www.ehs.psu.edu/hazmat/lwmm.pdf.
- All students are required to refresh their training every year by completing the "Laboratory Safety - (Refresher)" course and updating the paperwork filed with Cathy Krause and Roger Dunlap.
Required PPE in Experimental Labs
All occupants of the experimental labs must adhere to the following rules:
- Safety Glasses worn at all times.
- Gloves must be worn while working in the lab and removed prior to leaving the lab
- Lab coats must be worn inside of the labs
- Closed toe shoes must be worn inside of the labs. (Absolutely No open toe shoes in the experimental labs!!!)
- Additional PPE could be required on specific experiments know your hazards
Documentation of the safety training will have to be supplied in order to sign out any keys within Fenske Building. If safety training is not updated annually your key privilege will be lost.
Page updated on 05/02/13, Page Top