Skip Navigation
Leaving the Department of Chemical Engineering
  1. Leaving the department page
  2. Transfer/Seperation Checklist.pdf
    Hosted on the chemical engineerin Box account.

General Requirements

Teaching Requirements for Ph.D. Degrees

A teaching experience is an integral part of a graduate education. Therefore, the department requires all graduate Ph.D. students to serve as Teaching Assistants before they can receive their graduate degrees. One semester as a TA in classroom and/or laboratory will satisfy this academic requirement. (Work as a Graduate Grader is not considered as satisfying the TA requirement).

Additional semesters of TA duty can occur upon mutual agreement of the graduate student, the student's advisor, and the department head. Students serving as TA's to meet their academic requirement will receive the normal stipend given to all the students. Students who are volunteering as TA's, beyond the requirements, will be given stipends at a higher grade. Although not required, M.S. students may also serve as Teaching Assistants.

The Chemical Engineering Department is fully committed to recognizing outstanding performance in all of our graduate students. The Department provides special Fellowship (cash) awards to recognize graduate students whose work as a Teaching Assistant has been particularly outstanding. Decisions on the TA Awards will be made by the Department Head in consultation with the faculty.

Reviewed on 07/22/14

Top of page