Commonwealth Campus Information

Students enrolled at Penn State commonwealth campuses may generally satisfy the course requirements for chemical engineering during their first three semesters.

Students should plan to finish MATH 230 and MATH 251 before taking CH E 210 and CH E 220. For most students, this means taking the two MATH courses in the fall semester of the sophomore year. If your campus does not offer both courses, take the one that is offered and take the other one in the spring along with CH E 210 and CH E 220.

Provided progress has been made toward the chemical engineering requirements, students should request a transfer to the University Park campus beginning with the spring semester of their second year. This is required so that they can enroll in CH E 210 and CH E 220, which are offered only at University Park. We recommend scheduling only 15 to 17 credits during the first semester at University Park as you adjust to the transition of your new campus.

If you have questions about your academic plan or about your transfer to University Park, please contact your adviser or the chemical engineering undergraduate office.

chemical engineering advising handbook

Contact Information

  • Stephanie Velegol
    Associate Department Head of Chemical Engineering—Undergraduate Program
  • Alishia Long
    Undergraduate Academic Program Assistant

Related Topics



The Penn State Department of Chemical Engineering, established in 1948, is recognized as one of the largest and most influential chemical engineering departments in the nation.

The department is built upon the fundamentals of academic integrity, innovation in research, and commitment to the advancement of industry.

Department of Chemical Engineering

121 Chemical and Biomedical Engineering Building

The Pennsylvania State University

University Park, PA 16802

Phone: 814-865-2574